How to Measure for Venetian Blinds
Getting the right size is very important to the overall look and performance of your venetian blinds. Take your time and follow the old builder's rule of thumb - measure twice.
Sketch each of your windows and write each measurement on the sketch as you go.
Always measure in millimetres with a reliable tape measure.
For an Inside Frame Mount
Note: To mount your blind inside the window frame you will need at least a 70mm deep recess.
- Measure the exact opening width across the inside of the window frame in millimetres at the top, middle and bottom of the window as pictured in positions A, B and C. Use the smallest of the three measurements for your venetian blind.
- Measure the exact drop (or height) of the opening from the inside top of the window frame to the top of the sill in millimetres at the left, middle and right of the window as pictured in positions D, E and F. Use the smallest of the three measurments for your venetian blind.
For an Outside Frame Mount
- Measure the required width of the blind in millimetres (usually from the outside edge of the frame or architrave or wider if desired). If the window has no architrave or frame you will need to add at least 40mm on each side of the opening.
- Measure the required drop (or length) from the top of the architrave or frame.
- At the top, a minimum of 50mm of frame/architrave is required for the fixing of the control brackets. If there is less than a 50mm frame, measure from a point at least 60mm above the window.
- Where there is a protruding sill, measure to the top of the sill. If there is no protruding sill you may choose a point lower than the sill.